eTakeoff Dimension work at office / work at home - Send Project to Bridge
Many users want a way to start the takeoff of a project at the office, then continue to work on the project from another location like on the road or at home. There are a few different ways that can be accomplished.
- Laptop – The simplest method would be to perform all of the takeoff on a laptop. The computer goes where the user goes. Once the project is complete and ready to send to Bridge, the user will need to transfer the project to the computer where Dimension, Bridge and Sage Estimating is located. Click on the follow link for instructions on transferring a project. Transfer a Project from one computer to another
- External Hard Drive for Dimension Data – The next best method to a Laptop is to locate all of the Dimension data on a portable external hard drive. The user can configure the external hard drive to each of the computers that the project will be worked on with the SAME Drive Letter so that Dimension projects will always be “in sync” no matter what computer the hard drive is connected to. Once the project is complete and ready to send to Bridge, the user will need to be connected to the computer where Dimension, Bridge and Sage Estimating is located.
- Remote Access – Virtual Terminal Server – This method is nice because the user simply logs into the company’s network as if the user is still at the office. However, depending on the speed of the internet connection, this process could render a slow performance resulting in a substantial loss of productivity. Yet, with all of the data already located on the computer where Dimension, Bridge and Sage Estimating is, the user can easily create a Bridge for the project.
- Export Project Data & Files back and forth between computers – This method is a manual method and is the least desirable. It requires many steps to transfer a project back and forth between computers making sure the data is “in sync” and has the latest set of data. To make the best use of this option, the user needs to:
- Maintain the Standard data (Traces, Extensions, Layers, etc.) loaded on all computers.
- The user first exports the project takeoff with the drawing files using the “Backup & Zip” feature to some type of media or a cloud drive.
- The user then restores the project on a different computer and modifies the project from there.
- Now, since the drawing files are on both computers, the user just exports (backs up) the project information to some type of media or a cloud drive.
- A user cannot import a project while a version of that project is already a Dimension project (in other words, the user cannot merge project data). When the user restores the project to the office or home computer, he/she will be prompted to create ANOTHER version of the project.
- Depending on how many times the project gets modified back and forth between computers, there could be several versions of the project.
- Once the project is complete and ready to send to Bridge, the user will need to know which version of the project is the latest and will need to be connected to the computer where Dimension, Bridge and Sage Estimating is located.
For more detailed information on the Backup/Restore processes, click on the link below.
Project Bakup and Restore